What is Zaleplon?
zaleplon is a sedative/hypnotic (a medication that induces sleep) used for short-term treatment of insomnia. While insomnia symptoms include difficulty falling and staying asleep,Zalepom works by decreasing the time to the onset of sleep.
Zaleplom is chemically unrelated to benzodiazepines but it has similar effects because it attaches to the same receptors on nerve cells as benzodiazepines.
Read the Medication Guide provided by your pharmacist before you start taking zaleplon and each time you get a refill. If you have any questions, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Take this medication by mouth as directed by your doctor. Zaleplon works very quickly, so it is important to take it just before or when you get into bed. Your doctor will work with you to find the smallest dose that works for you.
Zaleplon should not be used for naps. Do not take a dose of this drug unless you have time for a full night’s sleep of at least 7 to 8 hours. If you have to wake up before that, you may have some memory loss and may have trouble safely doing any activity that requires alertness, such as driving or operating machinery.
Side effects of Zaleplon :
Some of the common side effects of Zaleplon :
- Lack of coordination
- Tingling in hands
- Loss of appetite
- Vision problems
- Eye pain
- Sensitivity to see
- Painful menstrual periods
Some of the serious side effects of Zaleplon :
- Swelling of face
- Difficulty in breathing
- Zaleplon can also cause some other serious side effects. Talk with your doctor if you are experiencing any unusual problems while you are taking these medications.
How to take Zaleplon?
Zaleplon comes as a capsule that should be taken orally. Typically it is taken at bedtime to fall asleep. Do not take zaleplon with a heavy or high-fat meal. If taken with high-fat foods, Zaleplon will not function well. After taking Zaleplon soon you will fall asleep. Right after you take zaleplon, plan to go to bed and sleep 7 to 8 hours. Zaleplon helps in making you fall asleep. Zaleplon may form a habit. Do not take a higher dosage, take it more often than recommended by your doctor, or take it for a longer period of time. Do not quit taking Zaleplon without talking to your doctor about it. You can experience some symptoms like uncomfortable feelings, stomach and muscle cramps, vomiting, sweating, shakiness, and occasionally, seizures if you suddenly stop taking zaleplon.
Warnings for some Serious Health Conditions
- If you have ever had any unusual or allergic reaction to this drug or any other medicine, tell your doctor. If you have any other forms of allergies, such as foods, dyes, preservatives, or animals, inform your doctor. Read the label or package ingredients extensively for non-prescription drugs.
- Zaleplon can cause some serious problems to a pregnant woman or who are planning to get pregnant. Inform your doctor if you are planning to take Zaleplon or any other medications.
- Talk with your doctor if you are going to take Zaleplon during your breastfeeding. The medication can pass into your breastmilk and can cause some serious problems to your baby.